Thursday, February 28, 2013

Only Temporary Negligence

Sorry folks. My short, tidy and newsy posts are only temporary. My co-author, John Nunley (plus the recent news in Minnesota) lit a fire under my arse about our ongoing work on the division of labor in same-sex couples, specifically a paper that we are working on that will (hopefully) show the effects of gay marriage versus civil unions versus no relationship-recognition whatsoever.

I spent the day carefully delineating rights across states and working up a document that explicitly discusses the legal terrain in the U.S. (No, my legal partner -- and by that I mean my partner who is in the legal field as opposed to my partner in any legal sense of the word -- was of no help as she does tort work). If you're confused and interested in this stuff I can send you an absolutely up-to-the minute document for your perusal!

Tomorrow will be a day focused on our Irish adventure with insights and pictures to come!

Also, I am working on a piece on Irish nationalism which will be based on observations, experiences, research and interviews! Look forward to that. But here's a preview. I am curious about nationalism in Ireland. Its fight for independence is so relatively recent and interesting. I am curious about how it effects people in today's Ireland and how does a nationalistic world view translate politically. What motivates people to send their kids to Irish-immersion schools? Is that a conservative or liberal position?

I am also interested in Irish politics and will post on that as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment