Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Normal Wednesday

I can't believe that any day would feel normal here but I guess it takes about two months to get to the point where anything can feel normal. Again, I say this with a bit of tongue-in-cheek because it is not like we are living in a developing country or one that doesn't speak English.

I've even started getting used to riding my bike on the left side of the road.

This is enormously confusing and tells you a lot about habits of mind. Even when I am riding and watching out for cars, I look to the person in the left hand seat as though they are the driver for a cue to make sure they are aware of me biking near them. I'm still not exactly sure which way to look when I step out into a road, but make sure I just look all ways.

Maggie and I walked to school today and as I road off I saw her whisked away by a few girls, one saying "you like cats, right?"

Chris Jepson at school told me about a shortcut through Maggie's school to UCD which really helps. I essentially avoid a hill both getting there and coming home. The biking is still really not that much of a hassle--it is way faster than waiting for a bus either way and still having to walk, and it hasn't rained in enough days for the pitches to be fairly dry (well I wouldn't go that far, but they are not muddy!).

I headed in to work today and had a productive few hours and then met Sheila in downtown Blackrock.

We are making our way through the restaurants in town (there's only really one main street and a couple of streets off of main, so there are not too many restaurants to "go through"). Today we went to Ouzo's Bar and Grill. It was lovely. We split an open-faced steak sandwich (the beef here does not begin to compare to home, but of course, I am from Omaha) and some calamari which were lovely.

The kids came home and Johnny and I kicked the ball out front for a while before doing some math drills. Maggie and I set up her blog and Sheila finished up a bit of work.

I'm looking forward to playing with Sheila on Friday. We are planning on going to the National Museum on Friday to see the exhibit on bog bodies and looking for a good cake for someone's upcoming birthday.

I'm sending loads of prayers back home to my friend Michelle's husband, Steve who is in the hospital.

Here are photos of Ms. Molloy's class (Johnny's firstclass classmates at Guardian Angels) that we sent back home to Mrs. Mullinax's class in a package filled with Irish candy!




No comments:

Post a Comment