Monday, June 3, 2013

Bits and Pieces of Ireland at Home

Carolann sent us an article about Celtic Junction which holds ceilis and sessions in St. Paul.  I have explored this place and it is amazing.  Check out their website at http://www.thecelticjunction.com/    It is a center for Irish dance, music, and language.  It is home to the Center for Irish music which has classes for all ages in Irish music.  http://www.centerforirishmusic.org/   Lisa and I just signed up for beginning Bodhran lessons that begin right after we get home.  Our teacher is Todd Menton and here is his email response to my request about purchasing drums:

Sheila
I'll be your instructor at the Center for Irish Music.  Erika sent me your question about purchasing bodhrans.  I recommend that you head to Walton's main store there in Dublin and try out some of their basic models.  That company has been offering a very good range of lower-priced drums recently; several of my students bought them, and they sound excellent.  Walton's will have a TON of drums to choose from, of course, so take your time and listen to a bunch!
Tunable bodhrans are best, but the non-tunable ones that Walton's has offered lately are very fine.
As for two different kinds, I'd say:  how about a larger one (17"-18") and a smaller one (14"-16")?
How I envy your shopping experience!  I'd love to send all my students to Dublin, not to mention ME.
I look forward to meeting both of you in June.

Many thanks,
Todd Menton

Lisa and I are excited to head to Waltons to shop for drums when we get back to Dublin!

The class runs for 10 weeks on Tuesday evenings at 6:00 pm beginning on June 18.  There is still room left in the class.  Sign up and join us.....there might be a pint in it for you after class!


No comments:

Post a Comment