Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Forty Foot

Our friend Susan had been keeping track of the tides all week and deemed today the best day in terms of weather (it was sunny today and yesterday) and because the tide would be in at a reasonable time.*

I'll admit I was a bit nervous.**

They say that the Irish Sea never really warms up.

Being me, I did a bit of research:

"Sea temperatures off the Irish coast range from an average of 10° C off the south-west coast to less than 7° off the north-east coast during February, and from 16° C in the south to 13° C in the north Irish Sea in August.

Highest and lowest temperatures occur somewhat later in the year at sea than over land. Water takes longer to warm up and cool down. In general, sea temperatures are higher than those of the air during the winter, while the reverse is the case during the summer months. The differences in both cases are comparatively small, less than 5° C but they are large enough to have a major influence on our climate."


Susan grabbed Johnny and me at "half six" and we headed down.

She must have been nervous too because we chatted non-stop about all-things-warm all the way there.

We got there and even though other people were and had been swimming, it still looked terribly cold.

We decided, rather than have a heart attack by jumping in off of the nearby rocks, that we'd ease in by the handrail. Also, the water was much choppier than it had been this past Sunday when we picnicked.

The water was freezing but I took the plunge.


Literally for the first ten seconds it felt like someone had punched me in the gut it was so cold. But after a bit, it started to feel ok. And the waves were lovely.

And once I stepped out for a bit, I couldn't stand the thought of not going back in.

Ultimately, I took three plunges and Johnny went up to his shoulders.

This is me doing a victory wave... Or drowning. Check out how clean that water is.

 
Here is Susan and Johnny. Susan - thanks! I wish we weren't saying goodbye to this sea so soon. It only now warmed up (I should say "warmed up") enough to enter!





Maybe now I will have to join "The 40 Foot Walruses" (Ireland's ugliest and hariest swimming club except for the girls who are all very attractive). Who gained worldwide acclaim when they became the first swimmers to swim across Dublin Bay from Howth Head to the 40 Foot in Dun Laoghaire,

Here are a few lovely photos of The Forty Foot by Eimhear Collins. And also a blog by Gary Coyle who launched a "Daily Practice of Swimming" at the Forty Foot bathing place. He records his practice in three ways: a diary entry, a traced and scanned map and a photographic work, taken from the vantage point of the swimmer.





*The tides change hourly now as we approach the solstice. And wow, are the days getting long here. Susan said that in mid June they may only get 4-5 hours of darkness.
**I wanted to use the word "trepidatious" only to find that blogger would not allow me to spell it the way I was sure it was spelled. I took a bit of time to learn that, in fact, it is not a word!

No comments:

Post a Comment