Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sheila's Favorite Day

Tuesdays in Ireland are my favorite.  Not that you can really compare to weekend days in Paris walking through Montmarte, Sacre Couer, Musee D’Orsay and taking the lift to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

But there is something comforting about establishing a routine here.  And, Tuesday is the day I get to pack in my favorite things.  I have my writing class at Dundrum that is always followed by a Belgian Chocolate ice cream cone (that will be replacing my lunch going forward as the increased walking and biking does not seem to be sufficiently counteracting the increased bread and butter ingestion).  I then get to pick up Johnny, Oscar and Pearce and hang out with the boys until Dervla comes to pick them up.  She raves about my gin and tonics with the heart-shaped ice cubes, which has made her a fast friend.  And to top it all off, I get to go to my cooking class in the evening. 

Yesterday was especially exciting because my writing teacher, Ursula, LOVED my prompt writing today.  She said, “brilliant”, “well done” and “lovely” which are the words she usually says to the other people (the "real writers") in class.  I figured if she liked it, I could share it with you.  Each week we get “prompts” on little pieces of paper.  Everyone get a different one and we pick them from a pile.  I picked first today and always feel a little anxious as I know she will almost always ask me to read what I write since I don’t bring in any of my other "archived outside writing" to read in class. 

This week, I got the following prompt:  “He heard the door open, “I’m back”, she said……”  And we are supposed to go from there…. We write for about 15-20 minutes and then she has several people share them with the rest of the class and we get feedback.  It is really fun…. Especially when it is someone else’s turn. 

Here is what I wrote:

He heard the door open, “I’m back,” she said as the automatic garage door finished closing behind her.  This announcement came every time she returned from anywhere – an extended trip, an errand or even to the end of the driveway to get the mail.  And, on each and every occasion he thought, “what a waste of effort” to alert him to the obvious as though he had no idea who had opened the door or that its being opened meant she had returned. 

            But this communication was about all they had left. 

Perhaps that is why she kept saying it, so that there would be some exchange of words between them.  Or, perhaps she wasn’t stating the obvious because while she was out, she had actually contemplated not returning.  He could only hope she had such thoughts…not because he really wanted to end the relationship but mainly to assuage his guilt for having the same thought every day.

There you have it…. My writing submission for this week and the start of another fabulous Tuesday. 

At cooking class, we made the best menu so far:

Sweet Potato, Savoy Cabbage and Chilli Spring Rolls with Nam Jim Dressings
Chicken Roasted with Fresh Spices
Raita with Cucumber and Mint
Aubergine with Spicy Tomato Sauce
Basmati Rice
Individual Pear Tarte Tartin
Vanilla Ice Cream

I love Indian and Thai food.  Every bite was a taste treat….. I am definitely going to need to update our spice cupboard when we get home.  I finally told the teacher that while the menus have definitely been “inspiring”, there is nothing “quick” about them.  I also had to admit that when I made the aubergine pickle for Lisa, I over-salted the aubergines, significantly affecting the flavor.  She was proud that I had tried!  I am definitely going to make the chicken for Lisa this week as well as the sauce for the spring rolls.  The recipes will be forthcoming so you can try yourself!

Overall…. a pretty fantastic day!

Soon I will be able to report that my Thursdays will be great as well. I heard back about my potential "Thursdays with O'Morrie" and may be able to play scrabble with him. I have an interview next week!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you will ace your scrabble interview- O'Morrie will be lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete